PlayStation 5 is the latest generation video game console developed by the multinational company Sony. Like PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 is designed with many advanced features. It loads games faster than previous consoles, has high-quality video and 3D audio, etc. Additionally, it supports all PlayStation video games.
It also has many advanced features like online chat, a connected headset, a USB Type-C cable for charging, etc. Despite its many advantages, the PS5 controller has some issues that can trouble the user. Recently, it is the most searched term in search engines and players ask a lot of questions about it, but some users have many problems with the PS5 controller not charging.
1. Check the USB Cable:
The first solution to the PS5 controller not charging problem is to check the USB cable. If the cable is not inserted correctly, the controller will not receive enough power and will not charge even though the light is flashing. Therefore, it’s a good idea to check if the USB cable is properly inserted into the PS5 and DualSense when the problem occurs.
Also, try using a different Type-A to Type-C USB cable or Type-C to Type-C USB cable. If they work fine, this indicates that there is something wrong with the original USB cable. You need to replace it with a new one.
2. Install The Firmware Updates:
You know, there are many bugs including the PlayStation 5. Even if you don’t update it with new versions, you still face problems like the PS5 controller not charging. So, updating your PS5 controller is essential. So, update both your PS5 controller and DualSense / PS5, controller. When you boot up your PS5, it will show update notifications on the main screen. If you see any update warning, update it immediately. If you choose to update later, you will face the following madness.
- First, save each of your data.
- Now restart your PS5 console.
- Click “Settings” at the top right corner of the screen.
- Select System and click on System Software.
- You must select System Software Update and Setting.
- Select the Update System Software option.
- Update your PS5 console using the Internet or from a USB drive.
- Click on the Update option. If it shows any signs, go through them to complete the process.
- In no time, it will complete the download and install process.
You cannot update the PS5 controller immediately after the PS console update function. It doesn’t pop up any message and you have to wait for 24 hours for it. Then you can update it. Now your PS5 controller not charging issue will be solved.
3. Test Your PS5 Controller:
Let’s say any of the above issues are with your PS5 controller. So first, check that there is no problem with your device. For that, you connect your controller to another android device like PC or PS 5. If your controller works with both PC and PS5 consoles, it means there is a problem with your console. If you also have a problem with the PS5 controller charging and this trick doesn’t work, you can use another trick.
4. Check the charging port for dust:
Dust and debris accumulate in the charging port more often than you think. While this may not cause action, built-up dust can prevent the controller from charging even if everything else is working properly. Look at the charging port and if there is debris, use a toothpick to scrape it off, but don’t be too rough on it. In this case, you can use compressed air to clear the debris from the port.
5. Enable Rest Mode Charging:
When your PlayStation 5 is completely turned off, the PS5 controller will not be able to charge. On the other hand, you can’t keep your PS5 on all the time because it also needs rest. To solve this problem, the PlayStation 5 offers a Rest Mode charging option that allows users to charge their controller while their PlayStation 5 is off.
Here are the steps to enable rest mode charging:
- Turn on PlayStation 5.
- Go to settings.
- Navigate to System.
- Select Power Saving Mode and click on Features Available in Rest Mode
- Always set the supply power to the USB ports.
- After enabling this option, the PS5 controller can charge itself while the PlayStation 5 is in rest mode.
6. Reset Your PS5 Controller:
If your PS5 controller won’t even charge your laptop, PC, and other PS5 consoles, your controller needs
to be hard reset. Below are simple steps to reset your PS5 controller which will not cause any further problems and eliminate ps5 controller from charging. First, you need to connect the USB cable to your controller.
- First, turn your dual sense to see the back of it.
- Now, you can see a small hole in front of the Sony logo.
- Use the SIM card ejector pin to press the reset button.
- Hold for about 5 to 10 seconds.
- Now, you can see the message “Your controller is disconnected” on your console screen.
- So, after resetting your PS5 controller, check if the charging problem is fixed or still there.
The PlayStation 5 controller is an amazing device to play our favorite video games on our PS5 consoles. With advanced sound and video effects, we can play with more fun and joy. When your PS5 controller is not charging, you can use the methods discussed in this guide. We have explained the steps so that even a beginner can easily understand them. However, if the problem persists after using the above method, you should contact Sony Support.